Help and FAQs

If you need assistance with any part of this website or you have questions about your debt to the State of Tennessee, you may contact us directly at (615) 741-0376, Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 4:00 pm. We are always happy to work with you.



Please note that the Attorney General’s Office cannot give you legal advice. We can only inform you of the State’s position on the matter and provide you with descriptions of the information or actions we require to pay or resolve the debt. If you feel that you need legal advice on this or other matters, please contact a private attorney.

What is my “Matter Number” or “Key Number”


          Both the Matter Number and the Key Number are unique numbers associated with your debt to the State. To be properly identified, you will need to enter both the Matter Number and Key Number before you can pay your debt online. You can find both these numbers on the letter you received from our office in bold print under the regarding line. If you need help locating your matter number, give us a call at (615) 741-0376 during our operating hours and someone can assist you.

What if I can’t pay the full amount?


          If you are unable to pay the full balance, you can make a partial payment; however, a partial payment does not guarantee that the State will not continue to pursue legal action against you for the full amount. To avoid the possibility of legal action against you, please contact our office to discuss a resolution. You can reach us directly at (615) 741-0376, Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 4:00 pm.

Is the balance displayed correct?


          Some debts owed to the State accrue interest. We do not guarantee that the balance displayed to you on this website perfectly reflects your balance with any accrued interest as of today’s date. If you want to ensure you know the current balance of your account, please contact us directly at (615) 741-0376, Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 4:00 pm.

What methods can I use to pay?


          Through this website, you can pay your debt by using either a Visa or Mastercard or by entering your checking account information. If you would prefer to send a physical check or money order, please make the check or money order payable to the STATE OF TENNESSEE and mail it to the following address:

               Tennessee Attorney General’s Office

               Attn: Collections

               P.O. Box 20207

               Nashville, TN 37202

How will I know you got my payment?


          After your payment is submitted, you will receive a payment confirmation via email. Please retain the confirmation for your records.